Project Description

The Mission Estate Winery, Hawkes Bay, was originally built in 1888 by Brothers in Meeanee, in three sections from Indian teak and dragged to its present location on bullock carts.

It was the centre for the Marist Brothers vineyard providing accommodation and the administrative functions for the wine making operations.

After more than a century of continuous use the seminary closed and private operators took over the mission and its wine operation.

Fat Parrot were engaged to re-purpose the historic building as a visitor centre and retail shop for the modern corporate winemakers.

The building was catalogued, disassembled and all essential parts were stored for re-use. A new cellar was built and a new steel structure was erected to meet current building codes. The building was then reconstructed using  the original materials.

Visitor numbers increased from 50 per day to 2000, which ensured that the vineyard was sustainable for the future.

Fat Parrot was awarded a NZIA National Heritage Award for this project.